The Technical and Vocational Education Board was established in 2015 through the signing into law of the Edu Law (cited as the Board for Technical and Vocational Education Law, 2015) by the Delta State House of Assembly.
A BRIEF OF FEATS ATTAINED IN TECHNICAL AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION FROM 2015 TILL DATE.
Technical and Vocational Education being the panacea to economic development and advancement through the development and provision of Skilled Manpower, Employment and Entrepreneurship took the centre stage at the entrant of Senator Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa’s led administration on May 29th, 2015.
Prior to this period, the State Technical Colleges and Vocational Centres wore a shadow of itself as they were characterized with dilapidated structures, non equipped Workshops and Laboratories, Curriculum that lacks most present day essentials, poor Library facilities, amongst other basic necessities, etc due to act of negligence.
Sequel to this, and going by His Excellency’s passion for Technical Education, His Excellency Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa sent an Executive Bill to the State House of Assembly to establish the Delta State Technical and Vocational Educational Board (DSTVEB) which by Law is to help oversee the activities of Technical Colleges and Vocational Centres in the State.
This Bill was passed by the Delta State House of Assembly and then signed into Law in June, 2015.
Today. Delta State has under the watch of the Board Six (6) functional Technical Colleges which include Agbor, Sapele, Ofagbe, Utagba-Ogbe, Ogor and Issele-Uku and Eight (6) Vocational Education Centres of Asaba, Sapele, Ozoro, Agbarho, Bulu-Angiama and Otor-Owhe. It should also be on record that Mbiri, Ubulu-Uku, Orerokpe have taken off, while Owa-Alero has since gained the approval of the State
Government and shall be taking off soon.
INFRASTRUCTURAL UPGRADE IN THE TECHNICAL COLLEGES AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION CENTRES:
Below is an overview of infrastructural provisions in the State Technical Colleges and Vocational Education Centres by the Delta State Government:
• A total of 25 Blocks of Classrooms with Offices, Stores and over 120 Classrooms has been built in the Six (6) Technical Colleges from 2015-date
• A total of 16 Workshop structures with 48 Learning/Practical Classrooms and +Workshops has been built across the Six (6) Technical Colleges
• A total of 5 modern Libraries has been completed while that of Sapele Technical College, Sapele is in progress
• Nine (9) Number First Class Hostels (Male/Female) has been completed
• A total of 4 Dining Halls/Kitchen has been completed
• A total of 30 Staff quarters has been completed
• 4nos Multipurpose/Assembly Hall has been completed
• Six (6) Administrative Blocks has been completed across the six Technical Colleges of the State
• Three (3) of the Colleges has been provided with 45KVA Sound Proof Perkins Generator each and have also been hooked to National Grid
• Three (3) Generator Houses has been built across the Technical Colleges, while another making it the 4th has being built at the Delta State Vocational Centre, Asaba
• Over 2,000 Students Dual Desk has been provided across the Six (6) Technical Colleges, while more are in the process
• Internal access road of about 3km has been completed for both Agbor and Sapele Technical Colleges, while that of Ofagbe Technical College is about to take off
• Water reticulation has been completed for Sapele, Agbor and Ofagbe Technical Colleges in the first phase, while the remaining three Colleges of Utagba-Ogbe,Ogor and Issele-Uku, await the second phase
• Perimeter Fence of about 10.5km has been completed for Agbor, Ofagbe and Utagba-Ogbe Technical Colleges, while that of Sapele Technical College is 95% completed.
• Blocks of Six(6) modern Science Laboratories with each hosting Laboratories of Physics, Chemistry and Biology has also been completed for the Six Colleges, while first phase of equipping has been completed
• Well equipped ICT Laboratories have also been provided for the Six Technical Colleges
• Construction of Sports Pavilion, Football Pitch and Running Tracks ongoing at Agbor
• Landscaping and Erosion Control first phase completed at Agbor
• 1No Multipurpose Hall has been completed at the Delta State Vocational Educational Centre, Asaba
• 1No NYSC Lodge of the Delta State Vocational Education Centre, Asaba has been completed
• Twin Generator House of the Delta State Vocational Education Centre, Asaba has been completed
• A 300KVA Transformer has been provided for the Delta State Vocational Educational Centre and about to be hooked to National Grid
• About 1.5km perimeter fence for Delta State Vocational Centre, Asaba has been fully rehabilitated, with Gate House completed as well
• A complete rehabilitation of the Delta State Vocational Education Centre, Sapele Main Building that was giving in to structural failure has been completed
• Construction of Welding and Fabrication Workshop at Delta State Vocational Education Centre, Ozoro in progress
Outcome: Improvement in the Colleges and Centres Infrastructure has enabled increase in enrolment and improvement in learning as world class and conducive learning environment that now endears many to the schools has been created.
To be continued……..
See photos below.