Thursday , 27 February 2020
Home / News / Education Minister urges students and Parents to appeal to ASUP, COEASU to call off prolonged strike

Education Minister urges students and Parents to appeal to ASUP, COEASU to call off prolonged strike

Supervising Minister of Education, Barr. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike has urged Parents, students and other education stakeholders to appeal to Polytechnics and Colleges of Education lecturers to call off their strike as the Federal Government has addressed their demands.

Addressing Education Stakeholders during the Town Hall Meeting on TETFUND interventions for Federal Tertiary Institutions in the North East Geo-Political Zone in Bauchi on Monday, Barr. Wike said that it was as far back as January 2014 that the Federal Government concluded all issues concerning the demands by Polytechnics and Colleges of Education Academic staff.

He said that the Federal Government comprehensively addressed the demands of the Polytechnics and Colleges of Education lecturers by setting up Needs Assessment Committees, constituting governing councils and kick-starting the process of the release of white paper on visitation panels.

He noted that the issue of arrears which stood at over N40billion for the two unions, was settled with the agreement that the Federal Government will pay in two installments.

Barr. Wike told the North East Education stakeholders that that on different occasions after the Federal Government concluded addressing specific demands on the table, union leaders pledged they were going to contact their members for the strikes to be called off, only for them to extend the strike action.

The Education Minister said that the Federal Government is unhappy with the repeated elongation of the strike, stressing that it is in the interest of national development for the lecturers to have a change of heart.

 

He said the Jonathan administration remains fully committed to transforming Polytechnics, Colleges of Education and all other levels of education as exemplified by the investments and achievements witnessed since 2010.

 

According to him, the town hall meetings in five geo-political zones so far, where Vice Chancellors, Rectors and Provost of Federal Tertiary institutions have exposed to Nigerians tremendous developments that have taken place in institutions of higher learning, contrary to false sponsored propaganda.

 

He said: “The fact that these town hall meetings are open to journalists, civil society, lecturers, non academic staff, parents and students indicate that the government has nothing to hide and is committed to the transparent transformation of these schools”.

 

The Minister noted that the Federal Government will continue to engage with all stakeholders to further improve all levels of education.

 

 

Simeon Nwakaudu,

Special Assistant (Media) to the Supervising Minister of Education.

 

Story 9

 

 

 

FG Moves To File Appeal Against  Sanusi Over Jurisdiction

 

**as legal fire works begins tuesday

 

 

Counsel representing the federal Government chief Mike Ozekheme, SAN may today file an appeal before a court of Appeal sitting in Abuja challenging the ruling of the of the federal high court sitting in Abuja over its decision that its has the jurisdiction to hear the matter.

 

The  Court had  fixed April today to commence hearing in the substantive suit filed by the sacked governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi challenging his sack along side the Preliminary Objection filed by the Federal Government challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the suit.

 

The Federal Government had however through its counsel,Chief  Mike Ozekhome SAN said it will challenge the decision at the Court of Appeal as he insisted that the Federal High Court has no jurisdiction to entertain the suit.

 

The Federal Government had  on February 19 sacked Sanusi over   report by the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria FRCN alleging Sanusi of Financial recklessness.

 

Not satisfied with his sack, Sanusi had through his counsel Kola Awodein SAN dragged President Goodluck Jonathan and two others before the court.

 

At the resumed hearing of the suit, counsel to Federal Government, Chief Mike Ozekhome brought a Preliminary Objection challenging the jurisdiction of the court.

 

Counsel to the Plaintiff, Awodein, SAN however prayed the court to take both the preliminary objection and the substantive suit together.

 

Chief Ozekhome and counsel to other defendants objected to the prayer.

 

They argued that the court has no jurisdiction to entertain the substantive suit.

 

They further submitted that by hearing both applications, the court would have entered jurisdiction which the constitution did not vest on it.

They rather urged the court to hear the objection first.

Delivering a short ruling, the presiding judge, Justice Gabriel Kolawole held that the court will take both the objection and the substantive suit together.

He further held that it will be disservice to set down the plaintiff’s application in favour of the defendants position to hear the suit separately.

 

He stated that it is judicially expedient and in the interest of justice to hear both the objection and the substantive suit together.

 

He however gave the parties 10 days to exchange their processes.

 

He later adjourned till today for hearing of both applications.

 

Speaking to Nigerian pilot after the court session, Ozekhome said that he had applied for the ruling as it will be challenged at the Appeal Court.

 

Nigerian pilot  recalls that Justice Kolawole had on February 26 refused an ex parte motion filed by Sanusi seeking to set aside his suspension by President Goodluck Jonathan.

 

The court instead ordered that the President should be put on notice, and adjourned for both sides (Sanusi and Jonathan) to argue the motion.

 

In the motion he filed on February 24, the apex bank chief asked the court to reinstate him, and also make an order of interlocutory injunction restraining the President, the Attorney-General of the Federation and the Inspector-General of Police from stopping or preventing him from performing the functions of the CBN governor and enjoying in full, the statutory powers and privileges attached to the office.

 

While urging the court to immediately grant the motion, Sanusi had argued that any delay might cause irreparable and serious damage and mischief on him in the exercise of his statutory duties as the CBN governor.

 

Ruling on the ex parte motion,Justice Kolawole  directed Sanusi to put the defendants on notice to enable them appear before the court to explain why the application should not be granted.

 

The court noted that he felt hesitant and constrained to grant Sanusi,s ex parte motion.

 

He explained that it was unsafe to grant far reaching interim orders which have all the attributes of a mandatory injunction without giving the defendants a hearing.

 

Also, according to the judge, once the defendants have been served with the originating summons and motion on notice, the court would need to determine whether, considering the Third Alteration Act No. 20 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, the Federal High Court has the jurisdiction to entertain the suit.

AmarSim Associations Development Consultants

Check Also

Immunity clause: HURIWA to senate; Reps: – Only the Guilty Are Afraid:

The prominent civil Rights advocacy group – HUMAN RIGHTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (HURIWA) has …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *