Sunday , 17 November 2019
Home / News / Army Challenges Ndume to Prove 847 Soldiers Lost to Insurgency

Army Challenges Ndume to Prove 847 Soldiers Lost to Insurgency

The Nigerian Army yesterday asked Chairman of Senate Committee on Army, Senator Ali Ndume, to prove his claim that 847 soldiers had been lost to Boko Haram insurgency in the last six years.
This is coming as Governor Bello Masari of Katsina State and his counterpart in Sokoto State, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, yesterday called on the federal government to provide a special security subvention to North-west states ravaged by banditry to adequately fund the peace deal and other security operations initiated by the governors.
Ndume, who spoke with reporters after contributing at Senate plenary to the debate on the general principle of the 2020 budget proposal, said the casualty figure was sourced from military authorities last week.
But the military said the senator needed to substantiate his claim, even as it would not take issue with the federal legislator.
He said: “The casualty figure of 847 was gotten from the Army last Thursday when the National Assembly joint Committee on Army visited the war theatre in Borno State.
“The Boko Haram insurgents don’t only attack civilians but the military as well. So far, from the record we saw in the cemetery, I think we lost over 847 soldiers – by their record there and that is from 2013 till date.”
He dismissed claims that the military authorities organised mass burial for soldiers lost to insurgency in the North-east, saying Nigerian army will never do that.
More in Home
To Avert Strike, FG Makes Labour New Offer
IMF Backs CBN’s Monetary Policy to Grow Economy
PSC Insists Fresh Police Recruitment Illegal
CJN Links Economic Stability to Speedy Resolution of Financial Disputes
Experts Blame Flooding, Others as Inflation Rebounds to 11.24%
“In fact, if any of the soldiers is missing, they go out to search and get the person before declaring whether or not he is dead and even if he is dead, they make attempts to retrieve the body and inform his family before carrying out the necessary burial rites,” he said.
Speaking on the objective of the committee’s visit, the committee chairman stated that it was aimed to have a true picture of operations in the North-east zone.
“We even visited the cemetery because as you know, there have been reports of mass burial by the armed forces. We went to see how well-kitted the soldiers are and also visited the army hospital that was attacked twice,” he said.
According to him, the commitment of Nigeria’s Armed Forces is commendable, especially with the conditions they find themselves and still decide to sacrifice their lives for the country.
The former Senate leader wondered why with the kind of challenge being faced by the military to tackle the Boko Haram menace in the North-east, the federal government has continued to underfund the Ministry of Defence annually.
Ndume said: “We are in a war; when you are in a war situation and you are budgeting N10.33 trillion and you are allocating less than one per cent to defence, does that show that you are serious about it? Defence is allocated N100 billion. I was hoping that it’s 10 per cent. One per cent of N10.33 trillion should be N130 billion but I later discovered it was less than one per cent of the 2020 budget proposal.
“More than half of the budget if given to security. It is worth it because without it, all these things that you are doing – infrastructure, hospitals – will not work.
“Better kits, bullet-proof vests, and better riffles cannot be provided for with the sum of N100billion. The war is won but Boko Haram needs to be defeated.”
AmarSim Associations Development Consultants

Check Also

#BayelsaDecides: Two feared dead, as hoodlums abort election in Opolo

By Yemi Itodo As Bayelsans throng out in their numbers to vote for a new …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *