OYO State police command Wednesday dismissed rumour that Boko Haram insurgents attacked and killed nine policemen and 11 civilians on the Lagos Ibadan Expressway.
The rumour emanated from the social media, face book that the suspected Boko Haram insurgents numbering 18 were armed with AK 47 rifles, “displaying their skills”.
The report further stated, “If you are on the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway going towards Ibadan, please turn back. I8 suspected Boko Haram members are on the high way now displaying their skills.
Nine policemen and 11 civilians had been confirmed dead by these gunmen while trying to stop them from shooting”..
But, reacting to the comments, the State Police Command described the report as false and ‘a concoction of demented souls’.
The police through SP Olabisi Okuwobi-Ilobanafor, said, ”It has come to the knowledge of Oyo state Police Command, the vicious rumour making rounds through social media and text messages that 18 suspected Boko Haram members had laid siege to Lagos-Ibadan Express Road with AK47 rifles where it was claimed they killed 9 policemen and 11 civilians. The rumour is not only untrue but it is a concoction of lies that emanated from the mind of demented “Members of the public are advised to discountenance the web of wicked lies and desist from assisting the rumour mongers to spread falsehood through their phones or social media. Lagos-Ibadan Expressway is safe and devoid of any violent attack.
“There was an occurrence of lone auto accident involving a trailer loaded with bags of wheat and policemen, Road Safety, Op-Mesa and other security officers were only at the scene to control traffic and clear the traffic gridlock caused by the accident”, she said