The 15-year old star of the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), Ezela Ekele Franklin, who scored 347 points to emerge overall best candidate, may be rejected by his first choice institution, University of Lagos.
Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Prof Ishaq Oloyede, who stated this while announcing the 2019 UTME result in Abuja, said University of Lagos has a policy of not admitting candidates under the age of 15 as they are considered minors.
Oloyede however advised Franklin to seek for admission in universities without a policy barring underage candidates.
Recall that Franklin, a candidate of Imo state origin in the 2019 UTME outperformed his peers in the exercise which was conducted between April 11 and 18, 2019, while 16-year old Igban Emmanuel from Abia state came second with 346 points.
Announcing the UTME results in Abuja, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede, said 1,886,508 candidates registered for the exam in Nigeria and other parts of the world where JAMB conducts the UTME while 59,667 were absent.
He added that 1,826,839 candidates sat for the examination but only the result of 1,792,719 candidates was released while 34,120 results are being withheld including the results of 15,145 candidates being further clarified as identical twins and siblings.
“For the 2019 UTME, 1,886,508 candidates registered including those who registered at the foreign centres. Out of this number, which excludes the Direct Entry candidates, 59,667 were absent.
“A total of 1,826,839 sat the UTME. Today, we are releasing the results of 1,792,719 candidates. Some 34,120 results are being withheld including the results of 15,145 candidates being further clarified as identical twins and siblings.
“Candidates are advised to use the phone numbers they used to register to text RESULT to 55019. There is no need to approach any CBT Centre or cyber café to check results. Those who were ABSENT, got their Registration CANCELLED or have their results WITHHELD will be told,” he said.
Oloyede decried the role played by examination malpractice syndicates across the country to undermine the exercise with the active connivance of some Computer Based Test (CBT) centres, even as he reeled out names of those caught in the act.
He said the strategies of the fraudsters includemultiple registration, impersonation, deliberate disruption of the examination process, manipulation of biometrics, extortion of candidates and collusion of some private CBT centres with parents, among others.
He said “A total of 116 Centres have been delisted or suspended. Out of this number, 18 have been sanctioned by the to the Governing Board of JAMB with suspension for between one and three year for registration related misconduct.”
The JAMB boss also announced a ban on cash transactions in CBT centres from 2020 to eliminate illicit transaction and extortions.
“Starting from next year, UTME candidates will make all payments associated with registration, purchase of e-pins, reading text and conduct of mock examinations at one point from which the reading text, normal CBT registration, service charges and mock (optional) shall be remitted to the respective states through the committee of CEE, Technical Advisor, JAMB state Coordinator and a representative of the CBT centre owners in the state shall superintend over the weekly disbursement on the basis of number of registration.
“It should be noted that the present total expense per candidate is N3,500 (previously 5000) for application document ;700 to CBT centres as registration service charge, 500 for the compulsory reading text and 700 for the mock totalling N5,400 and N4,700 for DE and candidates not taking mock.
“In the next exercise the candidate desiring to write mock would pay 3500 for application document + 500 reading text + 700 centre registration service charge + 350 for mock which has been slashed down by the Board to complement the efforts of the federal government on its reduction of the cost of the application document,” he said.